Saturday, August 23, 2008

real life lesson

8:05 p.m.
I dropped Lica off at the
downtown festival earlier this evening &
her bff's mom was going to pick them up at 10.
I didn't want her out past then, becuz people
would be getting drunk and acting stupid &
she didn't need to be around all that.
***
9:53 p.m.
She calls me to tell me that her bff's
mom isn't going to make it there by 10, but that
they're still hangin' with their large group of
friends, so everythings okay. I tell her to give
me a few minutes and then i'll come to get them.
***
10:02 p.m.
She calls back and says some guy is down and
they think he's dead. I'm like what? The paramedics
just pushed their way through the crowd &
they're checking for a pulse, but he doesn't
look like he's breathing. I think he's dead.
I asked if he fell from a ride. She says no. He's
just laying on the ground.
***
Then she starts giving me a play by play
of what the paramedics are
doing to try to revive this guy- oxygen bag,
cpr, iv, then they got out the paddles. I don't even
know why she kept standing there watching or
why i kept listening to what she was telling
me. This was real and she was watching this.
***
I asked if they were letting people leave the area
and she said yes. I said then you need to get
away from there. I don't want you watching this.
He could die and you don't need to see that. She said
I think he's already dead momma.
***
So I told her where to meet me and kept her on the
phone with me until I got there to pick her up.
Just at that time, the paramedics were finally leaving
the scene to take this guy to the hospital. Lica
called Jesse to see if he had heard about it.
He said he would check into it for her.
***
Turns out, this guy was actually a 17 year old kid.
He was dead. Not sure if they ever revived him or not.
Probable cause of death? Overdose.
***
Wow. Sobering thought. These kids hear all the
time that drugs kill. Now they've seen it happen.
Real life. Real death. Right before their eyes.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

WOW!! That is horrible!! Unfortunately it takes something real to wake people up. Hopefully some good came from this boys death in the fact that kids saw it happen. Maybe at least one will change the life path they are on! I'll never forget the first time I saw death. It is extremely humbling!

Sarah E. said...

OMG Sarah! Is Lica okay? That really is a sobering scene and sad to say, hopefully the kids that saw that will think twice about drinking and doing drugs. As sad as it is, it might be a blessing in disguise that they saw it. Please give Lica a hug for me!

Kathy said...

Oh my, what a thing for her to see. It will be a life changing thing for sure. Life always throws these zingers at you. Hope she is okay today. I saw the result of fast driving and maybe drinking at my first viewing when I was in high school and it took me a long long time to get over it. It is a hard thing to see at that age.

shadows of life said...

she seems to be doing okay. she was pretty freaked about it last nite, which is to be expected. she just kept going into details about how he looked and what they were doing. this experience won't leave her for some time, if ever.

Carla said...

OMG,what a tragedy. I am sorry Lica had to see that, but you are right, these kids just don't under stand the dangers until they see it first hand. It is so sad someone lost their lives, but maybe that act will save 100 others. (Hugs) to Lica

Lou said...

What a terrifying thing to see! I'm sure that it will effect her for a long time, if not forever. That's just plain scary.

My Patterned Mind said...

What a horrifying thing for anyone to see! I can't even imagine how traumatizing it must have been for her. I hope she's doing okay.